Hell's Not So Bad

Friday, December 30, 2005

Cryptonomicon

I really thought that when school finished I'd have more time. As it turns out, I have less. See, school forces a kind of routine on me that makes me do things like check my email every day and read my web comics and feel guilty about not posting. The holidays make that guilt go away and thus, no posts. However, I have found a new author that I like very much and I thought I'd share. I just finished reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I also got three more of his books for Christmas. (w00t!) Cryptonomicon, other than being hard to spell repeatedly, is a fantastic book that tells three major stories, with a host of supporting cast perspectives. It takes place during the modern day, as well as following some amazing WWII stories. The main character is Randall Lawrence Waterhouse. Randall, or Randy as his friends call him, is a Unix geek and is just starting a new business venture with his friend Avi. They end up in the Philippines on some crazy idea that turns out to be only part of a larger business plan. Meanwhile, we meet Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse. Randy's grandfather. We follow him through his days at Princeton earning a degree in engineering, but he's more suited to pure mathematics. He meets some nice friends there, like Al. Al prefers to go by Alan but Lawrence isn't good with names. Alan, last name Turing, is a British chap that's working on applied mathematics. Bright chap, probably go far. Anyway, Lawrence ends up in the Navy and because of his music talents, made part of a band in the USS Nevada stationed at Pearl Harbor, December 1941. After the "day which will live in infamy" the Navy decides it doesn't need bands, but all those musicians might be able to help type in the new war effort. In training to be clerks for the Navy's Cryptanalysis, Lawrence proves he's far more valuable cracking Japanese codes than taking dictations. Soon they ship him off to Europe to work with the British on the Enigma problem, and he meets up with his old friend Alan Turing. Bobby Shaftoe is a hardass US Marine. He's done his share of fighting in the Pacific theater. So after being a particularly nasty battle, he's sent home with a Purple Heart, Silver Star and a Navy Cross. He wants back in the fight so he's assigned to a special unit, Detachment 2702, where he meets people like Enoch Root and Lawrence Waterhouse. All these stories tie together with others to take you on a fantastic epic that, despite some heavy mathematics, reads fast and intense. I couldn't put it down for the week it took me to finish the 1000+ pages. I've already started my next Neal Stephenson book: Quicksilver. I'll let you know how this one turns out.

1 Comments:

  • You tricked me! Upon reading the title of your newest posting I Laughed my ass off. Just think …SUPERMAN meets EVIL DEAD! Oh, I can just hear the rustling in Beau’s pants at this very moment. It does sound like wicked book though; I will have to pick it up. MATH, BAH!! I am glad you had a guilt free holiday my friend…staying drunk for 11 days can do that to you. WHAT? I’m not the only one am I?

    By Blogger Baron Samedi, at 1/04/2006 08:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home