Hell's Not So Bad

Saturday, November 05, 2005

I'm an ass

I try not to be, but sometimes it just happens. There are a few things on my mind lately and I'll try to get to each of them over the next few days, but first the latest thing that bugs me. It seems that quite a few people that I know have decided to start blogging. That's very cool. I really like hearing all about the mundane and insane and deeply intense and personal things that my good friends have shared. However, sometimes I read things posted by people I've known for years and wonder if I really know them. Sometimes this is a sad thing, but most of the time it's awesome that my friends are still surprising me and we're still changing and growing as people. I love it. But today I had one of those "I don't really know this person" moments and it was not the good kind. I realized I'm an ass. I hope that by confessing my ass-ness and resolving to pull my head out and keep it out that I might find some forgiveness. You may have read the blog of my good friend Psycho. His wife, Sign Foo, just started her own blog recently and I spent some time this morning skimming through it. I was struck by how very smart and articulate she is. Now, I knew this. If you were to ask me I'd say yes, she is a very smart person. But since she's deaf, she doesn't come off as articulate as you or I might like to think that we sound. On paper, or in a blog, it's all the same. We're all playing on a level field. So as I was reading through I realized that my surprise at finding her so expressive and smart was actually disturbing. You see, I realized that I'm an ass who just judges by what I see or hear and not by what is really there. Mostly this was a rude awakening because she and I read some of the same kinds of books and we've talked about them and I know she's insightful and intelligent. She's very well read. But, because it takes more work to follow her in a conversation, I discount it somewhat. I knew better and I still caught myself being stupid, patronizing and perhaps condescending. See? I'm an ass. Foo, I'm sorry. I know it can be hard to fight prejudice and bigotry. Especially when people don't even know they have it. I will most definitely try to be more respectful and less of an ass. Please forgive me so we can talk more about the books we read and I can benefit from your wonderful insight and opinion.

11 Comments:

  • Is this some weird way of trying to hit on my wife?

    It takes a strong person to admit that they have negative qualities and to do it in an open forum such as this is brave. I thank you for noticing that there is more to the package than the wrapper. I have learned, in part from my wife, that everyone one deserves to be defined by their merit over any initial impressions. That’s why I try to hold off any real opinion until I get to know someone, a first or even second impression is no real way to learn who someone really is. I too have been under the burden of stereotypes and I quickly dismiss those who see fit place me in one from some impersonal interaction. It’s an important step when you know that you’ve done this… because knowing is half the battle =D

    By Blogger Psycho, at 11/06/2005 11:15:00 PM  

  • Hitting on your wife? Well, now that you mention it...no.

    The thing that bugged me the most about this is that I pride myself on being an openminded person. To catch myself making these kinds of stupid judgements upsets and scares me. My ray of hope is that I'm now aware.

    By Blogger Kaplin, at 11/07/2005 12:23:00 AM  

  • Will you guys stop hitting on each other please.

    I'm right here, I can see everything.

    By Blogger Psycho, at 11/07/2005 11:37:00 AM  

  • Then shut your eyes!!! You filthy voyeur!!!

    By Blogger Kaplin, at 11/08/2005 08:21:00 AM  

  • Hey Hobbes --

    What's up with you hitting on Psycho's wife???

    Jeez.

    And how come everyone insists on only accepting comments from other Blogger users? :)

    And since there's potentially book suggestions going on, I just finished Cheri Priest's Four and Twenty Blackbirds. It's a fine, gothic tale. Very creepy. Currently I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife. Next up is Elizabeth Bear's Hammered (the first in a trilogy of books, all of which have come out/will come out this year.) I'll let you know if I give it two thumbs up or down when I finish, if you care. Bear won the most recent Cambell award for best new writer. She deserved it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2005 06:14:00 PM  

  • I have a huge list to get to as soon as I finish school. I'll add that one to it.

    By Blogger Kaplin, at 11/10/2005 10:59:00 AM  

  • Hobbes, I don’t think you’re an ass. I think you are one of the good ones. I want you to try and see past the fact that I am extremely jealous and that your incessant flirting with sign foo is breaking my heart. Don’t you see that we were meant to be together?? Don’t you see that I need you more than her??? It was meant to be!! I have your name tattooed on my buttocks for crying out loud! It meant nothing to you? All those night you thought about me?? OH, don’t you dare sit there and pretend you don’t do it. I feel you, you know. I feel it when you think about me! It’s like a magic connection that only you and I have AND YOU’RE RUINING IT!! YOU’RE RUINING EVERYTHING!!! THE TOWEL TOLD ME THAT YOU WERE THE ONE! I BURNED THAT TOWEL; I BURNED MY WHOLE APARTMENT TO THE GROUND! I WILL NEVER LISTEN TO MY LAWN FURNITURE AGAIN! THEY LIED THEY ALL LIED! NOOOOOOOOOO!! YOU HAVE TO COME BACK TO ME!! WHAT I AM NOT PRETTY ENOUGH? I AM NOT FEMININE ENOUGH? I CAN CHANGE! I CAN CHANGE! I CAN CHANGE!
    If I cant have you…no one will.

    **Bum** **Bum** **Bum**
    (Dramatic theme plays)

    By Blogger Baron Samedi, at 11/10/2005 02:51:00 PM  

  • Fine. You can have me.

    By Blogger Kaplin, at 11/10/2005 02:53:00 PM  

  • HA HA! VICTORY IS MINE! YOU SEE SIGN FOO? NO ONE CAN STOP THIS MEAT POPCICLE!!!!

    By Blogger Baron Samedi, at 11/11/2005 08:32:00 AM  

  • Baron --

    That's one of the most romantic things I've ever read.

    ::Sniff::

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/12/2005 09:04:00 AM  

  • Stop it! I'm getting all misty eyed.

    By Blogger Psycho, at 11/12/2005 11:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home